Nowadays, decorative and energy-efficient glass becomes more and more popular between designers and architects. Ceramic frit glass becomes one of the modern design concepts for buildings to reduce glare and heat gain while providing distinctive exterior looks with different kinds of colors, patterns, and shapes. Ceramic frit glass becomes the ideal building glass for those various features and advantages.
What is ceramic frit glass?
Ceramic frit glass also called ceramic printing glass or silkscreen glass, is a type of decorative glass and also tempered glass. The patterns on the glass surface are permanent and as hard as the glass itself. It is pretty durable and resists scratching, never fading, and also has incredible chemical resistance.
There are kinds of colors and patterns options available. So designers tend to use ceramic fritted glass to create innovative and eye-catching buildings.
What is the production process?
The glass is by heating the inorganic pigments on the glass surface, under a high temperature, inorganic pigments fused to the glass, which creates the super-durable opaque coating and patterns on the glass surface.
The main process of can be divided into 4 steps, including cutting, grinding, silk screen printing, and tempering.
1. The big size glass sheet will be cut into the required size.
2. The sharp edges need to be ground and polished.
3. The important part is to print a layer of inorganic pigments through a specialized screen mesh.
4. To fuse the ceramic frit to glass surface, glass will be heated in a tempering furnace at a high temperature up to 600°C.
- Providing privacy: ceramic frit coating can make parts of the glass or the whole glass opaque.
- Decorative effects: various patterns and colors combinations to create unique designs.
- Lowering energy consumption: saving more electricity fees by decreasing amount of solar heat gain
- Reducing glare: it has lower glare comparing reflective glass.
- Chemical resistance: its coating never fades and falls off, as tough as the glass itself and the same lifetime.
- High strength: ceramic frit glass or silkscreen printed glass, is as strong and safe as tempered glass.
Ceramic frit glass specification
- Product name: ceramic fritted glass or ceramic frit glass
- Glass thickness: 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm, 19mm
- Inorganic pigments color: white, black, red, blue, green, etc.
- Glass color: clear, extra clear, grey, blue, bronze, etc.
- Printing patterns: dots, lines, or other patterns
- Applications: window, door, railing, partition, canopies, skylight, curtain wall, facade, spandrel, etc.
- Size: up to 2440*6000mm
Ceramic fritting glass is suitable for glass curtain walls, laminated louver and balustrades, doors, windows, and much more. Ceramic frit spandrel glass is commonly used in high-rise buildings.
1. What is the manufacturing difference between silkscreen printing and digital printing?
Silkscreen printing needs special mesh screens, however, digital printing requires a printer.
2. Is all the ceramic frit glass tempered glass?
It can be heat strengthened glass or semi-tempered glass as you requested.
3. Is it possible to make laminated ceramic fritted glass?
Yes, we can produce double laminated glass or even triple laminated glass.
4. Can I apply more than three kinds of colors to ceramic fritted glass?
For four or more colors, we suggest digital printing glass which has more colors and complicated patterns.
5. Is ceramic glass price higher than digital printing glass?
It depends on the quantity. For small quantity orders, digital printing glass will be a better choice because of lower mold cost.
Shenzhen Dragon Glass is a leading glass manufacturer in China. We are dedicated to supplying superb quality architectural glass and decorative glass. Are you planning your ceramic frit glass projects? Please contact us for more detailed info.